Multigrain Porridge with Sautéed Lucy™ Apples
It’s time to trade in your usual morning oatmeal for this new and vibrant breakfast option. The mix of grains gives the porridge an earthy, chewy texture, and the beautiful blush-colored Lucy™ apples sautéed in maple syrup are the perfect balance between sweet and tart.
Soaking the grains overnight is optional, but we recommend taking the extra step because it makes the grains easier to digest and also speeds up the cooking time in the morning, and we all could use a little extra time in the morning!
Created by: Meg Raines
(plus overnight soaking time)
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 steel cut oats (gluten free if desired)
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup amaranth or teff
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of water or milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil
- 2 Lucy™ Glo or Lucy™ Rose apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chopped nuts and your choice of milk for serving (optional)
- Lucy™ apples on a cutting board
- Combine the quinoa, steel cut oats, buckwheat groats and amaranth or teff in a glass bowl; cover by 2 inches with water. Cover bowl and let sit on the counter for 8 hours or overnight.
- Rinse the grains in a fine mesh colander and transfer to a sauce pan. Add a small pinch of salt and the water or milk. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the grains are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent the grains from sticking. Add water as needed for your desired consistency
- Remove porridge from the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- While the porridge is cooking, heat the butter or coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced apples to the hot skillet and sauté until the apples are starting to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the maple syrup and cook, stirring often until the maple syrup has reduced and the apples have softened. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cinnamon.
- Serve apples warm over the multigrain porridge, garnish with nuts and milk if desired.